This new book introduces students and teachers of translation to the intricacies of the process and demands of the subject. The author shows how theoretical perspectives relate to practical pursuits in translation and interpreting studies and presents relevant research issues and their applications to teaching.
SECTION I: TRANSLATION STUDIES: HISTORY, BASIC CONCEPTS AND KEY ISSUES IN RESEARCH 1. Translation studies and Applied Linguistics 2. From Linguistic Systems to Cultures in Contact 3. Equivalence: Pragmatic and Textual Criteria 4. Cultural studies and Translator Invisibility 5. From Word to Text and Beyond 6. Literary and Cultural Constraints SECTION II: RESEARCH METHODS 7. Register-Oriented Research Models 8. The Pragmatics Turn in Research 9. Focus on the Text 10. Translation and Ideology 11. Translation of Genre vs Translation as Genre 12. Empirical Research in Translation Studies 13. Theory and practice in Translation Teaching SECTION III: EMPHASIS ON PRACTIONER RESEARCH 14. Action and Reflection in Practitioner Research SECTION IV: LINKS AND RESOURCES 15. Links and resources Glossary References Index
* An assessment of basic theoretical assumptions and influential modes of thinking about translation.
* An outline of the important research trends that have emerged in recent years in a variety of professional settings.Covers the historical and conceptual background to translation studies, discussing key issues in translation research.
* Focuses on how various perspectives outlined in section 1 have yielded operational frameworks for research.
* Presents current practical applications of translation research and how the areas are represented by the three facets of research (register, pragmatics, semiotics).
* Provides links, references and resources for translators, together with a glossary of basic terms
* Illustrates how the theoretical models interact with each other, and how these models contribute to a better teaching practice and theory of translation and interpreting
* Conceptual Map Boxes inserted at important points in the book guide the reader through the discussion.
* Companion Web-Site provides web resources and information.